What is Okteenerfest?
THE PORSCHE 914 OKTEENERFEST is an annual Southeastern U.S. gathering of increasingly rare, out-of-production Porsche 914 automobiles and their owners. Essentially, it’s all about preserving the Porsche 914 automobile for posterity.
2013 was the first year of Okteenerfest. Attendance has grown consistently from year to year. As Okteenerfest’s raison d’être – i.e., reason for being – the 914 was produced by our venerable Stuttgart sports-car manufacturer from 1969 to 1976.
Who and what are Teeners?
Among all of us global Porschephiles, there is an avid subset of aficionados keen on the Porsche 914. These stout souls are devoted 914 enthusiasts. Naturally, they love all things 914 — hence the nickname Fourteeners or simply Teeners.
In the United States of America, they’re the ones behind organizing and attending the Porsche 914 Okteenerfest in their prized 914s.
What is the common connection between the Porsche 914 Okteenerfest and Oktoberfest?
So what is the significance of Okteenerfest sounding similar to, and taking place around the same time as, Oktoberfest?
Oktoberfest originally was and now is a 16-day Munich, Germany, festival. It celebrates the marriage between King Ludwig I and Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen on October 12, 1810.
Oktoberfest has evolved into the largest Volksfest (i.e., “peoples’ festival”) in the world. Gradually, the start of Oktoberfest was pushed to mid- to late-September. Why? Because of September’s longer, balmier days.
Similarly, Okteenerfest is the celebration of the production marriage between Volkswagen (i.e., “peoples’ car”) and Porsche. It stands to reason because this marriage specifically spawned the Porsche 914.
According to Wikipedia, “The Porsche 914 or VW-Porsche 914 was a mid-engined, targa-topped two-seat roadster designed, manufactured and marketed collaboratively by Volkswagen and Porsche from 1969 to 1976.” [Emphasis added]
So it also stands to reason that Okteenerfest is an annual gathering of out-of-production Porsche 914 automobiles and their owners. Accordingly, they have wedded the two ideas of Oktoberfest and Okteenerfest. Together, this wedding celebrates the Porsche 914 marque as a Volksfest.
As an American Volksfest for the U.S. Southeast, Okteenerfest is the nation’s premier Porsche 914 gathering. This celebration has taken place from the Smoky Mountains in east Tennessee to the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina.
Inaugurated in 2013, this 914 festival has grown steadily. Participation has more than doubled in the first three years with over 100 participants and 60-plus 914 automobiles in 2015. Let’s double, if not triple, those records. Do so by signing up today for participation in the next one.
This year’s Okteenerfest will undoubtedly be a blast. Make sure that you and your Porsche 914 join in on the ‘Volksfestivities” — great food, door prizes, People’s Choice Car Show awards, mountain twisties, and, last but not least, great camaraderie with great Porsche people. Details follow:
Information on the 2016 Porsche 914 Okteenerfest
- Dates: Thursday, September 22, through Sunday, September 25, 2016
- Theme: End of an Era – Celebrating the Porsche 914, 1970-1976 – 40 Years Since the Final Model Year of The 914. According to the official website, “This year marks 40 years since the final model year of the 914, and to commemorate this ‘End of an Era,’ Okteenerfest 2016 will feature a selection of the best stock 914s in attendance. In addition to the standard categories of Stock, Modified, and Custom, a special group of 914s representing each model year will be on display at the car show. If you would like your 914 to be considered for this display, mark YES on the registration form and we will contact you for additional information.“ [Text courtesy of Okteenerfest.com]
- Venue: Return to last year’s locale: Banner Elk, North Carolina
- Driving Highlights: Twisties, sweepers, and other driving surprises including a small but exciting segment of The Diamondback, and ear-popping elevation changes but plenty of stopping points to get out, stretch, and enjoy the scenic splendor of the mountains
- Lunch on the road: In Blowing Rock, North Carolina
- Socializing Highlights: A People’s Choice Car Show, lots of good eating, an awards ceremony, and boatloads of door prizes from very generous vendors
- This year’s special exhibition: A display of 914s at the car show representing each model year. If you would like your 914 to be considered, mark YES on the registration form so we can get in touch with you for additional information
- Okteenerfest Registration: Register for Porsch 914 Okteenerfest now
- Newsletter Quick-Access to Info: Sign up now for our Newsletter to get the latest news
- Facebook Quick-Access to Info: Here’s our Facebook link for the latest news
- Website: Okteenerfest.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sponsorship inquiries: email@example.com
- Magazine: Fourteener Motoring magazine
Highlights of previous years’ Okteenerfests
- George Husseys and Steve Gaglione’s M-471 GTs
- John Forbes and Steve Limbert’s 914-6 GT race cars
- Comprehensive swap meets
- 40th anniversary of the Can Am 914 cars
- Limited Edition 914s
- “der Nebelbergring”
- The world-famous 318 curves of the Tail of the Dragon
The Okteenerfest Group
- Steven Schleif – Creamsicle
- Bob Saville – “Huey” 914/6 Conversion
- Mike Blizzard – ’75 Ancona Blue 2056FI
All Teeners are looking forward to seeing and personally meeting you at Okteenerfest 2016. Please join your fellow Teeners now. You’ll enjoy every moment!