Copyright © 2015-2017 StuttgartDNA.com
At first glance, using the Directory might appear a little daunting.
But once you get the hang of it, navigating the Directory will become second nature, especially if you’re a seasoned pro at surfing the Internet.
TIP: You may want to open the “Porsche® Resources Directory” page and the “Navigating the Resources Directory” page in side-by-side windows so that you can simultaneously refer to these navigating instructions while exploring the Directory.
Getting Acquainted with the “Porsche® Resources Directory” Page
The initial page that you land on is the “Resources Directory” page. It can be broken down into four (4) major sections:
1. The Menu Bar consists of the following navigation buttons:
- Submit a Listing — allows you to do just that — submit a listing to the Directory that you would like to see included among all existing Directory listings, pending Admin approval, of course, to officially post your listing to the Directory (COMING SOON)
- View Listings — displays all of the listings in alphabetical order, 10 listings per page; this is the default view
- Directory — brings you back to the initial Directory landing page from wherever you happen to be during your current explorations of the Directory; allows you to start over if you wish
- Claim a Listing — again, allows you to do just that — claim a listing that already exists among the Directory listings, pending Admin approval, of course, thus enabling you to officially manage the content and layout of your pre-existing listing in the Directory — but only if it’s your actual business listing (COMING SOON)
- Search Listings and Advanced Search — either one enables you to search the Directory by filtering via several data labels / form fields (e.g., Business Name, Business Type, Country, State / Province, Zip Code / Postal Zone, etc.)
2. Business Types are listed alphabetically
- The number in parentheses following each Business Type alerts you to the raw number of total listings under each Business Type
- Clicking or tapping on any Business Type takes you to excerpts of all listings under that Type
- A page opens, displaying the following:
- Business Type name (e.g., Porsche Racing Prep) — serves as the descriptive header / page title Horizontal Alphanumeric Links — displays “A, B, C…” links above the listing excerpts for alphanumeric filtering
- Sort Bar — enables you to sort the listing excerpts by Business Name, City, or State / Province
- Google® Map — displays locator pins of all listing excerpts on the page (10 per page); each time you click or tap on “Next” at page’s bottom, the newly created map displays the next set of locator pins for the excerpts on the new page
- Listing Excerpts — itemizes each Resource Listing alphanumerically
- If you see a Listing Excerpt that you wish to explore further, proceed as follows:
- Click or tap either on the Business Name or on the “View” button, either of which opens up the listing to display all available info about that listing (e.g., phone number, website address, etc.)
- Each selected listing also displays its own Google® map geographically locating the business, as well as a dialogue box to the right of or below the map, allowing you to map out precise directions to that listing (for details, please see “Getting Turn-by-Turn Google® Directions” below)
3. “Select a Region” is displayed inside the grey dialog box immediately following the list of Business Types
- Use the fields within the box to filter listings — first — for a particular country, then a state, and then a city
- Start by selecting the top-most region (i.e., “Country”), then the other fields will be automatically updated to show available locations
- The “Country – Select a Region” label / field with a drop-down box is the only one visible from the start; select the Country to which you want to filter your listings
- This prompts the “State / Province – Select a Region” drop-down box to appear; select your desired state or province; now all of the listings appear for that region
- (Optional) Once the state or province is selected, you then have the ability to drill down even further by selecting a city listed in the newly appearing “City – Select a Region” drop-down box just below the “State / Province” field’s drop-down field. (CAUTION: This will severely limit your choices of resources only to those in that selected city, however.)
- Finally, you must click or tap on the “Set Filter” button to activate your desired filtering
- To start over with a new Region search, click on the “Clear Filter” button to clean the slate; repeat all of the foregoing steps to create another search filter
4. A Google® Map and Listing Excerpts are displayed — the map shows locator pins geographically indicating the locations of all of the listing excerpts that immediately follow the map, in alphabetical order, with a maximum of 10 Excerpts per page.
Getting Turn-by-Turn Google® Directions
A cool feature of StuttgartDNA‘s Porsche® Resources Directory is that it enables you to chart out turn-by-turn directions to a desired vendor or service provider once you discover any prospective resource in the Directory.
First decide whether you want directions from your “Current Location” (the default), or whether you wish to enter a “Specific Address” from which to start your turn-by-turn directions.
You’ll find the “Directions to Listing” dialogue box containing these two “Current Location” and “Specific Address” radio buttons just to the right of, or below, the Google® map displaying the selected resource’s locator pin on the map.
Next drill down to your desired mode of transportation listed under the heading, “Travel Mode,” as follows:
- Driving (the default)
- Public Transit
Finally, click on ” Show Directions” and — presto! — your turn-by-turn directions are all mapped out for you.
Using the “Search Listings” and “Advanced Search” Functions
Multiple Search Fields from which to Choose
The Search functions allow you to search the Directory by way of a variety of search fields, thus leveraging your ability to track down your desired goods or services as quickly and efficiently as possible. Just bear in mind that the “Search Listings” and “Advanced Search” buttons / functions are essentially one in the same. Here are your search-field choices:
- Business Name
- Business Type(s) – multiple types can be selected at once by holding down “Ctrl” and then clicking on each desired selection
- Short Business Description
- Long Business Description
- State / Province
- Address or P.O. Box
- Zip Code / Postal Zone (please also see “Searching for a Listing within the Radius of a Specified Zip Code” below)
- Country – Select a Region
- Business Phone Number
- Business Website Address
- Business Tags
Even though you can use any one of these to build your search criteria, probably the most practical fields to employ are the following ones:
- Business Name
- Business Type(s)
- State / Province
- Zip Code / Postal Zone (also see “Searching for a Listing within the Radius of a Specified Zip Code” below)
- Country – Select a Region
- Business Website Address
- Business Tags – allows you to enter keywords related to your desired search
Finally, at the bottom of the page are two buttons: “Clear” and “Search.” Hit “Search” to embark upon your exploration of the Directory after you’ve selected your search criterion or criteria. Click or tap on the “Clear” button to remove your previous search criteria in order to begin a brand-new search.
TIP: Filtering by Country, State and City
For best results when filtering by Country, State and City (i.e., while using the “Search” and “Advanced Search” functions) proceed as follows:
- Avoid the generic “City,” “State / Province” and “Country” search fields
- Instead, scroll down to the “Country – Select a Region” field and drop-down box to refine your searches first by “Country” (just below the “Zip Code / Postal Zone” field and radio buttons)
- Click or tap on the down arrow and select the desired Country for your search
- Then scroll up to the newly appearing “State / Province – Select a Region” field’s drop-down box right above the “Zip Code / Postal Zone” field; now click or tap on the box’s down arrow and then select the desired state or province
- (Optional) Once the state or province is selected, you then have the ability to drill down even further by selecting a city listed in the newly appearing “City – Select a Region” drop-down box just above the “State / Province” field’s drop-down box. (CAUTION: This will severely limit your choices of resources only to those in that selected city, however.)
TIP: Searching for a Listing within the Radius of a Specified Zip Code
This very cool and useful search function on the “Search Listings” or “Advanced Search” pages can be accomplished in a few simple, easy steps:
- Select a Business Type or multiple similar Business Types (the fewer at a time the better, though, to more efficiently narrow down each one of your searches)
- Enter a zip code or postal zone in the “Zip Code / Postal Zone” field
- Select the “Distance Search” radio button (this should already be the default selection, though)
- Click or tap on the down arrow to left of “miles.”
- Select the desired number of radius miles for your search — from 5 miles, on up to 1,000 miles.
- Click or tap on the “Search” button to ferret out all resource listings within your chosen mileage radius. If none can be found closest to your entered zip code, then select a mileage radius further out until you capture some listings.
Now, Happy Hunting! for that much-sought-after resource that will happily resolve your particular Porsche predicament!